Pages (Tabs)

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Borscht


I got this recipe from my friend Elena who is from Russia. She was my roommate a few years ago and she is a great cook. I had asked her for some beet recipes when I found out that beets help with gallbladder problems. Since we have switched our diet to be plant-based whole foods I haven't had any problems. But this soup is so delicious that it's worth eating despite the health benefits.

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2-3 beets, peeled and chopped into thin strips
2 small potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
2-3 carrots, scrubbed and chopped or grated
2 quarts vegetable broth
2-3 bay leaves
Salt & pepper to taste
½ head small cabbage, thinly sliced

Sauté vegetables except cabbage in olive oil. Add broth and seasonings. Simmer on medium for a few minutes. Add cabbage and cook on medium to low heat with lid for 5-10 more minutes until all vegetables are tender.

It's that easy. Sometimes I add a clove of minced garlic along with the vegetables for added flavor.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to make this. For some reason, I have been craving some borscht lately. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete