- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup (1/4-inch) diced onion
- 1/2 cup (1/4-inch) diced celery
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups packed spinach (or more!)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and celery and cook slowly until tender. Watch the heat so the onions soften without browning.
Add the thyme, broccoli stems, vegetable broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Add the florets and cook another 5 minutes or so, until broccoli is very tender.
Puree the soup in small batches, adding half the spinach and lemon zest to each batch. I do two batches with a Vita-Mix.
Pour back into the pot and warm gently. MMMMMmmmmm...