Pages (Tabs)

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cheezy Sauce

This makes a great cheese-like sauce for burritos or nachos or to use in other recipes.

3/4 cup raw cashews
1 tablespoon bottled or roasted red pepper (I like to oven roast red bell peppers in slices and then freeze them. Then I can take one or two slices out of the freezer for this recipe)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nutritional yeast (yellow yeast flakes)
juice of 1/2 lemon or 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (for when you don't have a lemon around)
1/2 cup water

Mix all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor until a smooth sauce forms. You might need to add extra water to thin the sauce to your preference.

2 comments:

  1. I made this the other day but used a fresh red pepper. It was pretty good. The fresh red pepper worked great. I thought the nutritional yeast taste was a little strong. I may reduce it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. Nutritional yeast is kind of an acquired taste. I have used fresh red pepper with this too, but sometimes I make this on a whim, so it's nice to use something already in the fridge or cupboard. But either way will work. We have been using this as a sauce inside burritos and also as a sauce for augratin type potatoes.

    ReplyDelete